Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Little More About Me

So I need a study break for a little bit, I have my second midterm for electro-magnetics tomorrow, we'll see how it goes, welcome to the life of a nerd. Anyways, I know not many people are following me on here yet, but maybe if I'm lucky that will change a little bit, I had a decent amount of followers during my internship this summer so who knows maybe some of them will see this, if so hope everything is going well at Polycom guys!

Alright, so I've posted a bit about the DCP how I've gotten accepted so far, and that i'm an electrical engineering major, but that's about it. I decided why not tell you guys a little more about myself, fair warning I am a huge geek and proud of it.

Alright so I am a 20 year old little girl at heart, 5'5, brown hair, grey (?) eyes, the usual, nothing out of the ordinary, except for the fact I really don't think I could pin point the exact color of my eyes, my license says they're grey so i'm just going to go with that. Other than that, I am one of the goofiest people you will every meet, I am extremely sarcastic, but always up for a good time. I love hanging out with anyone and can be friends with most people, or at least get along with them.

I am a junior here at Penn State, being in my third year here I can definitely see how much I have grown since high school, and how i'm continuing to grow as a person. Throughout elementary and middle school I was the nerd, the one who was good at math and read books (usually Harry Potter of course). I was a four eyes brace face in the prime of my awkward stage, but you know what? Life is one huge awkward stage, I know i'm still young but that's what it appears to me. I had my friends then and was innocent and carefree. Of course then came high school, drama, drama, drama, and not mine. Again I had great friends I wouldn't have traded for the world, but that was about the time we began to grow apart, wish I stayed in better touch with some of them, too bad I realize that now when i'm 450 miles away and moving to Florida in a couple months, anyways not the point. Throughout high school I was "the tennis player," "the smart one," and "the snowboarder." That was who I was, who I still am, sort of, I wasn't in the "popular" crowd and so far I have turned out fine.

Junior year I visited Penn State and loved it right away, I was excited there was no one else from my class who was going there, (there's two other BHS kids here now I think besides myself, but we never have spoken and rarely cross paths). I was excited to start brand new and get to reinvent myself and try to be one of "the cool kids." Freshman year rolled around and it was an experience, seemed as if everyone was trying to reinvent themselves and guess I did become someone different for a little bit. Freshman year came and went, at the beginning of sophomore year I decided to rush a sorority. I was a legacy, as my mother was in a sorority at UVM. At first it was great, I had all of these new girls around me who were all going through rush. It was like an automatic connection, especially since I was not a person to have a ton of girls to hang around, I've always been more so one of the guys. Keeping this semi-short, I ended up becoming a "sister" or my mom's sorority, she had no part in my recruitment, it just ended up that way. Sophomore year was pretty fun being in a sorority, suddenly you were connected to everyone on campus, wearing Greek letters made everyone look closer at you, trying to figure out which Greek org you were in. At first the attention was great, then I began to see the other side. The time requirements, the expectations, and a lot more. I loved my sisters more than anything, but it was obvious I was different. I wasn't a girly girl. I have never willingly worn make up in my life. I can count the number of times I've worn make up on my fingers, and probably the number of times I have ever worn a skirt or a dress too. I'm a jeans and tshirt kind of girl. I grew up with my brother racing motocross, in the basement "helping" work on his bikes, helping my dad check his traps, playing competitive tennis, going out and throwing around a frisbee. Yes I did have my fair share of barbies and dolls, but I was moreso into legos and all that stuff. 

Anyways, back to college. It just wasn't me, even though I was excited about all the new experiences I was having in greek life, there was something missing. I ignored that though. I was excited to move in with my sisters in late August and get new members, maybe even get my very own little. It's sad to say this is where things went downhill. I was being dressed in clothes that weren't mine, caked with makeup, and a fake smile hat made my jaw hurt for days. I was recruiting girls who weren't at all like myself and it just didn't feel right. The sorority was trying to change me, and I was not ready to have that. There were some other issues on top of that from some adult sisters, but I do still respect a lot of the girls and don't want to get into anything on here. 

I was enthusiastic about returning to campus and living with sisters during the last week of August, excited for recruitment, and the year ahead. However, by the end of October I had fully disaffiliated from Greek life. Now I don't regret my decision to go Greek, I do not resent Greeks or anything, the lifestyle just isn't for me.

However, the issues within my first month at school is what pushed me over the edge and actually kick started me to accept my Disney role. I was afraid of leaving college for a semester and moving to Orlando for 8 months, but I believe everything happens for a reason, somewhat. And I think that everything that has happened this fall was telling me that I belong in Disney, well at least for Spring Advantage. Now I am more excited than ever to go, yes I have great friends here and a boyfriend whom I will miss like no other. But today's technology we have skype, facetime, texting, facebook, I have no doubt I will stay in contact with everyone. 8 months is a long time to a 20 year old, but in retrospect, it's not that long. I'm young, I can take 8 months out of my life to go to Disney. I am a Disney fanatic, heck the other day while it may not all be Disney, I was cleaning my room rocking out to Backstreet Boys wearing a flux capacitor tshirt with a Cinderella bow in my hair. If you didn't know me before and don't want to read the rest of this post, that one line is pretty much everything you need to know about me. 

Can't say I remember where this post was going, hah my typical writing style, just ranting until I cannot rant anymore. Well, not necessarily ranting, more so talking until I get tired of talking but in this case writing.... OKAY well 60 days until my journey begins, and 12 hours until my electromagnetics exam, I guess I better get going and finish studying. Hopefully I do alright, then it's the last Penn State home game for the season and home for Thanksgiving on Sunday! That will be a fun 9 hour right, nahhhttt.

Anyways, faith, trust, and pixie dust for my exam tomorrow.

Ta ta for now!
Kenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment